- As a business which enables access to the Internet or related services, we understand explicitly the importance of the privacy of our customers when online and interacting with our services.
- As a member of the Internet Service Providers’ Association of South Africa (ISPA) we have committed to respecting the Constitutional right of our customers to their personal privacy, which includes the privacy of communications.
What is personal information?
- The Protection of Personal Information Act of 2013 defines “personal information” as all of the following:
- information relating to an identifiable, living, natural person, and where it is applicable, an identifiable, existing juristic person, including, but not limited to
- information relating to the race, gender, sex, pregnancy, marital status, national, ethnic or social origin, colour, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental health, well-being, disability, religion, conscience, belief, culture, language and birth of the person;
- information relating to the education or the medical, financial, criminal or employment history of the person;
- any identifying number, symbol, e-mail address, physical address, telephone number, location information, online identifier or other particular assignment to the person;
- the biometric information of the person;
- the personal opinions, views or preferences of the person;
- correspondence sent by the person that is implicitly or explicitly of a private or confidential nature or further correspondence that would reveal the contents of the original correspondence;
- the views or opinions of another individual about the person; and
- the name of the person if it appears with other personal information relating to the person or if the disclosure of the name itself would reveal information about the person;
- We commit to protecting the confidentiality of our customers’ personal information.
- Customer personal information in our possession will be used only for the purpose for which it was collected or in terms of the law under which it is required to be collected.
- Customer personal information is collected for the purpose of allowing the provision of our services as well as compliance with the Regulation of Interception of Communications and Provision of Communication-related Information Act of 2002 (“RICA”).
- We will only release customer personal information in the following circumstances:
- Where we have your written instruction to do so.
- Where we are required to do so under an order of a South African court.
- Where it is necessary to do so to comply with any applicable legislation or regulation and then in terms of such applicable legislation or regulation.
- For auditing, debt-collecting or complaints-handling processes and then subject to restrictions on the use of the personal information by the relevant third party.
- We do not monitor usage of our services other than in terms of applicable law.
- Our website may utilise “cookies” which do track usage to facilitate the provision of an individually-tailored service.
- Personal information provided to us as is required for use of the service is securely stored.
Collection of anonymous data
- In order to provide the best possible and most relevant service, we may use standard technology to collect information about the use of this site and our services. This technology is not able to identify individual users but simply allows the collection of anonymised statistics.
- Cookies allow us to tailor advertising and other services to your displayed preferences. We may use third-party cookies from an adserver for this purpose.
- Cookies by themselves may not be used to personally identify users but will be used to compile anonymised statistics relating to use of services offered or to provide us with feedback on the performance of this web site.
- If you do not wish cookies to be employed it is possible to alter the manner in which your browser handles cookies. Please note that, if this is done, certain services on this website may not be available.
- Protecting your personal information when using our services is a shared responsibility. Please be aware that the Internet can be a scary and unfriendly place and be sure to safeguard your identity and other personal information at all times.
Use of Personal Data
- Urbanwave may on occasion use your personal information to contact you about promotional offers; advise you of matters relevant to service provision and in some cases, solicit your feedback. However, Urbanwave will provide you with an option within every communication to opt out of receiving any communications of this nature or you can contact our customer services representatives to ensure that you do not receive such promotional information, at +27-10 500 1728.
- Urbanwave collects and shares aggregated user data with business partners, sponsors or other third parties for the purposes of developing content and ensuring relevant advertising and content, such user data will never be used to identify individual users. These business partners and affiliated companies do not have any independent right to share this information.
- Urbanwave may log the websites you visit; collect IP addresses and information about your operating system and the type of browser you use for the purposes of network/system administration; to report aggregate information to our advertisers, and to audit the use of our site. This data however will not be used to identify individual users who will at all times remain anonymous.
- Any information Urbanwave collects from you through correspondence with us, whether via e-mail, telephonically or by written letter, will only be used to address the matters within that correspondence. If this requires referring such correspondence within Urbanwave or to a third party to ensure customer service, your personal information will only be disclosed to the point necessary to address your query or concerns, and will otherwise be kept confidential.
- Public Space (Bulletin Boards, Chat Rooms and Third-Party Sites)
- Any information that customers disclose in a public space, including on any bulletin board, chat room or any site Urbanwave may host for you, is available to anyone else who visits that space. Urbanwave cannot safeguard any information you disclose there.
Amendments to this Policy